My due date came and went yesterday with nothing exciting to report. Not surprising, since some ridiculously low percentage of babies actually come on their due dates, but Tim and I are disgustingly punctual people so I was hoping our kid might be, too.
But no dice.
Tim absolutely insisted on taking a photo of me on my due date. I post it here JUST because I want to remember how un-glamorous this pregnancy thing is when I get the baby fever again sometime. Please note greasy, unwashed hair, food stains on shirt, swollen sausage fingers, double chin.
I feel like I am at a point where people kind of bow out of advice getting. I’m getting a lot of, “well, I delivered at 38/39 weeks and was miserable enough, so…I can’t even imagine how awful you feel now!”
A whole crop of new symptoms have appeared in the last few days, too, which is fun. They include:
- Acid reflux. I’ve been gloriously reflux-free until now, when I wake up in the middle of the night gagging on fire.
- Swelling. I have sausage fingers and toes.
- Carpal tunnel, or just generally stiff, painful fingers.
- Pubic bone separation of some kind. This one is no joke. TMI: while wiping the other day, I noticed THAT I CAN STICK MY HAND between the two halves of my pelvis. I can walk, but forget anything that involves my legs going in two different directions. Rolling over in bed and putting pants on are particularly awful.
- Inability to sleep. Everyone keeps telling me to stock up now, but I seem to be an insomniac at night, and I keep waking up because my pelvis hurts so much.
Also? I would just like to say that complaining about how uncomfortable I am right now is not related to my gratitude and absolutely joy that we are lucky enough to be having a healthy baby. I have received a few snarky comments about how I should just be grateful—and trust me, I am. But I am also allowed to be in pain, and it’s something of a dick move to say that I should just suck it up and deal quietly because I wanted this and I’ve suffered miscarriages. That’s all.
Anyway, I’m on maternity leave now, which is kind of awesome for the time being. I am glad I won’t have to worry about traffic, commuting, driving myself home in labor, co-worker comments, and back pain from my stupid desk chair anymore. I have already turned fifteen pounds of apples into applesauce and am about to go get the oil changed in my car. Awesome!
Anyone want to place a wager on this baby’s arrival date/size? Leave it in the comments.