So I’ve been purposely vague about the specifics of “progress” at my doctor’s appointments here because 1) I know it’s pretty meaningless; and 2) isn’t the world better off with less talk about my cervix generally? I think so.
I started having internal checks around 36 weeks. At that point, I was 1 centimeter dilated and everything was very, very high. I thought, no big deal, meaningless, plenty of time to progress.
Except every week since then, the report has been the same—1 centimeter, roughly 25% effaced, baby and accompanying cervix super high. And now, at 40 weeks, 3 days pregnant, I’m overdue and it’s time for this kid to get the hell out. I have had zero contractions or any other indication that my body is preparing for labor.
My doctor, who I trust, said that because the baby and I are so disgustingly healthy, we could safely go a few days past 41 weeks, but that at that point…there’s not really much benefit to him staying in, but a decent amount of risk. And I agree. I feel like going past 41 weeks has given him a good enough chance of coming out on his own, and I don’t really have anything to prove by resisting an induction.
So. Our marching orders:
Bottom line: I will report for a Cervadil gel induction Monday night at 6 pm. They’ll insert the gel. If that doesn’t start contractions or break my water, they’ll proceed to Pitocin Tuesday morning at 6 am.
In some ways, I am both disappointed AND relieved. I still have a few days for him to come on his own, but I feel a little sad that I might miss out on that, “OMG! I’m in labor!” moment, and that I might have to deal with more intense contractions from Pitocin that might make avoiding pain medication more difficult. I sort of feel a little bit like my body has failed me, too. So that sucks a little bit.
But on the other hand, I feel relieved that we have a definite end date. It was also nice that I was able to pick my favorite doctor to deliver the baby, since there are six possible options in my OB practice. The doctor said I could schedule it any day between now and next Thursday, so I picked based on a) wanting to give it just a few more days to see if anything happens naturally and b) the doctor I felt the most comfortable with. We’ll be able to make sure the animals are boarded safely and taken care of; Tim will be able to finish a few things up at work; the house will be clean and the laundry will be done; and my family is making travel plans.
So, it is what it is. I’m going in for an acupuncture induction session on Friday, with a follow-up on Saturday if it doesn’t work, but I can’t believe that, no matter what, I’ll be holding our sweet baby boy within a week!